Wednesday, October 21, 2009

a glacier´s patience

Be careful what you wish for.

I was reading through my journal the other day (which dates all the way back to February), and came upon the entry I wrote on my 24th birthday this past April. I found myself laughing out loud as I read my birthday wish, ¨I wish for a year of patience.¨ Man, life sure took that request seriously.

Since the day I arrived, with my cab driver taking two and a half hours to find my house, Argentina has dealt me one lesson after another in patience. Waiting to start teaching. Waiting for the bus, the subway, the train. Waiting for the internet to work. Waiting for dinner to be served. Waiting for Nancy and Janine to come. Waiting for loneliness to pass. Waiting for the server to take my order (the service here is extremely slow). Waiting for my mom to visit. Waiting to make friends. Waiting for spring to come. Waiting to cross the street. Waiting for Andy.

I´ll admit that it hasn´t been easy, but I´ll also admit that I´m glad to be in a city that requires so much patience on a daily basis, and to be at a point in my life that requires me to wait for things I want immediately. It's been really good for me (and my desire to always be in control).

However, as lovely as this little lesson in patience has been, next year I'm definitely wishing for tickets to the World Cup in South Africa.

No comments:

Post a Comment