Monday, July 6, 2009

my first class

I taught my first English class tonight, though not through an institute or a program or organization or any of the above. My host dad´s sister and my host mom´s friend were over for dinner on Saturday, and talk got around to English. They both desparately want to learn, and once they found out I was here to teach English, it was decided that I would be their new teacher. So now, on Mondays at Wednesdays at 6:30, I meet these two older women at one of their apartments to drink coffee and eat banana bread and talk in Spanish and English about life and men and clothing and food. And they insisted that I allow them to pay me, even though I insisted it wasn´t necessary. So I have a job. And two new friends, I think. It´s funny, I seem to have made more friends who are my parents´age than mine. Huh. But I had the best time tonight, and it´s exciting to see the skeleton of my weekly schedule starting to form. Huzzah!

No comments:

Post a Comment