Monday, July 13, 2009

a day in uruguay

Yesterday I went to Uruguay for the day. Yes, that sounds funny to me too.

One of my friends needed to renew her tourist visa, so she, two of her friends and I got up at 6am, took a three-hour ferry across the Rio de la Plata, spent the afternoon wandering around the tiny, old town of Colonia, and took the three-hour ferry back. It was a beautiful day - not very warm, but sunny - and it was so nice to get out of the noise and traffic of Buenos Aires and wander down cobblestone streets, linger over lunch and sit on a beach in the sun.

I may do this trip again in September when my own tourist visa is up. Or I might just cross the border into Brazil when I go to Iguazu falls. Or maybe I´ll go to Chile for the weekend. It´s so odd and wonderful to have all of these options tucked into my pocket.

To see some photos of Colonia, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment