Tuesday, July 14, 2009

an empty dress

Sometimes it seems to me that my life in Minneapolis is contained in a snowglobe that I hold in my hands, turning it over with each memory I carry with me. Everything and everyone held in time, suspended in a world that from far away seems even more beautiful than before. It sits in my palms, on the tip of my tongue, at the edges of my dreams. So far away, yet so clear and crisp in my mind that I feel as if at any moment I could reach into it and touch someone´s hand, unlock the front door, run my fingers along the worn red fabric of the couch, slip into it like some empty dress on the bed laid out for tonight.


*Author´s note: I wish I could claim this last phrase as my own, but I can´t. It´s a line from a Band of Horses song. A beautiful line. A line that I love. A line that turns itself around in my mind like a woman twirling in slow motion, her dress filling the air. And I know a few of you recognized the line when you read it. And I almost didn´t write this little explanation, because I wanted you to feel special, like we´d just shared a secret. But then I thought about everyone else who wouldn´t know, and who would think that beautiful line was mine, and I felt guilty. So I wrote this. And now you can all go and listen to one of my favorite songs. It´s called ´I Go to the Barn Because I Like The.´

No comments:

Post a Comment