Monday, July 20, 2009

a very good day

Today was a very good day.

Today was a good day despite the fact that I had to wake up at 6:45am, which is quite literally the middle of the night, according to my internal clock. And despite the fact that when I walked to the kitchen groggy-eyed, I found my host brother Juan still awake, playing video games in his robe, an entire ¨night¨ of sleep still ahead of him.

Today was a good day because I started my first day of Spanish class. Since I won´t be able to start teaching for a few more weeks, I´m taking two weeks of classes to brush up on the subjunctive and have people correct me when I use the wrong verb tense. And I really liked my teacher. And the school. And they gave me free tea and cookies.

Today was a good day because starting something new means an opportunity to meet people, and I really need to make some more friends. And, lucky for me, this little Spanish institute had some good ones, from Australia, Seattle, Israel, California, Amsterdam, New Zealand and everywhere inbetween. They were nice, and fun, and interested in making friends too. My lucky day! I wonder if they could see the crazed look in my eyes, the one that screams ¨I´m really desperate for friends.¨ I wonder if I came off as creepy.

Today was a good day because I got to take a nap.

Today was a good day because I went to a really great yoga class. And did a headstand for a full minute.

Today was a good day because after dinner, instead of listening to melancholy music and thinking about Minneapolis, I found myself singing out loud to Neko Case and thinking about all the little internal changes happening in the depths of my soul.

Today was a good day because I looked at my planner and realized I have something scheduled for every day, and every night, this week. With people other than myself.

Today was a good day because it was the first day since I´ve been here that I had the thought, ¨Maybe my time here is going to pass by too quickly.¨

Today was a very good day.

1 comment: