Tuesday, June 23, 2009

my first taste

I wake from a groggy sleep to see an airplane breakfast on a tray in front of me and the expanse of Buenos Aires´lights below. The sun is on its way, turning the horizon pink and orange. It´s just after 7am Argentina time, which makes it 5am on my clock.


A driver is waiting to take me to my homestay; the 40 degree morning feels colder than I thought it would. We speed towards the city as he chain smokes and I learn that lanes are merely suggestions of where to drive. Someone has given him the wrong address, and he asks me, with my vague idea of where my home is located, to look at a map for him while he´s stopped on a small patch of asphalt between the freeway and an off-ramp. Two hours - and many wrong turns - later, I arrive at my new home.

I am welcomed into a beautiful old building by Lourdes, my family´s live-in maid. She´s sweet and talkative, and helps me load the old-fashioned elevator with my suitcases. When we reach the 4th floor I am greeted by Carmen, my host mom, who gives me a big hug and immediately launches into a high-speed Spanish that my tired brain has trouble processing.

Lourdes and Carmen show me around the house; it´s beautiful, complete with five bedrooms, three bathrooms, and formal and informal dining and living rooms. I meet Ian (one of the two sons who lives at home), as well as the grandmother and their dog. After settling in (and discovering that there is a computer with internet access in the house) I have some pan tostada and tea, while Carmen grills a seasoned steak for the dog. (Those guide books weren´t lying - steak really is king here. Or maybe it´s the dogs who are the kings... hmm...)

Later, Lourdes gives me a good talking to about staying safe in B.A., Ian and I chat about things that 20-somethings who can communicate on a basic level chat about, and the grandmother instructs me to enjoy being young and able-bodied with an entire life ahead of me. (And yes, all of the above conversations were Spanish-only.)

All this, and it´s only lunchtime. I think I´ll wander out to see what I can find.

1 comment: