Saturday, September 12, 2009

¿minnesotan or brazilian?

In the past two weeks, I´ve been asked if I was from Brazil on four separate occasions. This both baffles and pleases me. When I look in the mirror I definitely do not see a South American, let alone some bronzed Brazilian... but I´ll take it. Their line of reasoning? Apparently I speak Argentine Spanish with a Brazilian accent. Maybe those drawn-out Minnesotan vowels are finally paying off.

As flattering as this line of questioning is, and as lovely as it would be to be able to introduce myself as a sensual, exotic Brazilian (and not some Downhome Girl from Minnesota), I´m really, really glad to be from a state in which I don´t have to don a G-string bikini year-round. Or ever, for that matter.

You know what? I take that back. I like being a Downhome Girl. And I love Minnesota. I wouldn´t change my place for the world... but I´m still thankful for full-coverage bathing suits.

No comments:

Post a Comment