Monday, September 14, 2009

a fantastic surprise

My mom sent me an email last Thursday, wondering if it would be too much trouble if she came to visit in a few days. ¨I´m thinking next Wednesday or Thursday,¨ she said. I couldn´t help but laugh out loud - partly because her request was so spontaneous, but mostly because a smile just wasn´t sufficient to express how happy her proposal made me.

We´d been talking about her coming, discussing different dates, trying to work around her crazy schedule... and nothing was working. But then this wave of spontaneity hit her when she was deciding how to celebrate her birthday (on the 16th), and the thought of spending yet another birthday in Austin (as lovely as the B&J is) was just too much to bear. ¨I want to celebrate with you, in Argentina! So I´m coming.¨ Quintessential Kay.

So she arrives Thursday morning, and will be here through the following Wednesday night. She´s going to stay in my homestay with me, on a mattress on the floor of my bedroom. I can already picture us stifling giggles into our pillows into the wee hours of the night.

We´re not going to travel outside of the city - there´s too much to see here. We´re just going to walk, eat, and laugh; do some sightseeing and shopping; and walk and eat and laugh some more. I can´t wait to show her my life here, and to be there as she experiences her first taste of South America.

We´re going to have an absolute blast.

3 comments:

  1. This gave me goosebumps:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh fun! You're going to have such a blast! I remember when my parents came to London - it was the best because it was so great to share that part of my life with them.

    Have fun - I can hear your giggles now...and I miss them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your stories inspire me. Just when I'm feeling like I'm stuck in a silo of thought, I glance at your blog and daydream about the great adventure you're embracing. I couldn't be happier for you.

    ReplyDelete