Wednesday, April 7, 2010

nostalgia

Five months ago I was on an adventure with my friend Alie, traipsing around northern Patagonia. The first day we were there we hiked over ten miles, taking in our first views of the turquoise lakes and snow-peaked mountains surrounding us. That night we found the best local pizza place and sat at the carved wooden bar, eating an entire brick-oven pizza each and drinking local microbrews as the cool mountain air blew in the open window behind us, laughing and talking and recounting our day, knowing we had ten whole days ahead of us to do exactly what we were doing at that moment.

At the time, I knew how good I had it -- I recognized that my life wouldn't always be a long string of travels, eateries, mountains and adventures; that I wouldn't always be young and responsibility-free; that the moment was fleeting. I even recognized that a few months down the road I'd be longing for that moment... that I needed to drink in every taste of it that I could, because sooner than I wanted to admit, I'd feel an entire world away from that time in my life.

I knew too well. Five months seems like five years; Patagonia may as well be Pluto. Whenever I think of my time in Argentina I feel an odd mix of happiness, nostalgia, exhilaration, turmoil, and a soft, slow sadness. I wonder if that's how it will always be for me; if my memories will forever match the emotions I felt while I was there. Looks like it's debatable.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. lia! i just happened to check your blog while surfing the internet at 3am...i really should be sleeping considering i have be up in 5 hours to get ready for an interview, but i can't seem to fall asleep, so here i am writing you! anyways, so crazy! i start reading and twelve words in (yes, i counted) BOOM! there's my name. i still remember that night so vividly! mmm that pizza was goooood. what i remember more than the taste of the pizza, however, was the british guy who sat discretely at the bar, eavesdropping on our entire conversation. you especially peaked his interest when you proclaimed that great sex was the only thing could possibly make the day any better. hahaha. oh lia... perhaps i shouldn't be writing this on a public blog, but whatever, you're friends will understand. i imagine they are quite used to your candid personality! wow... i can't believe that san martin de los andes was 5 months ago...really? i guess it does seem like a long time ago, but i remember so clearly what we did, what we ate..haha i always remember what i eat, and i know that you do! so many memories. do you remember that morning in villa la angostura when you were dancing outside the hostel at 9am with a half opened bottle of red wine in the side pocket of your backpack? lol. i could go on and on with the memories, but i'll save them for another day. i miss you lia! and our adventures! xoxo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hehe sorry! i had to edit the mistakes in my first comment...i know obsessive, obsessive...my mind doesn't work so well at 3am in the madrugada...

    ReplyDelete