Monday, November 23, 2009

hot toddy

It´s quite strange to put on flip-flops and a summer dress, walk outside into heat and humidity, and see Christmas-themed window displays.

I feel so far away from the holidays... I have no grasp on the fact that this Thursday is Thanksgiving. Or that Christmas is right around the corner.

I´ve never been abroad during the fall before... it throws me off to miss the crunching leaves and crispness of fall, and to not be there as the cold, grayness settles quietly all around.

I know that in a few short weeks I´ll be eating sitting by a twinkling tree, drinking hot toddies, bundled up in sweaters and warm socks, surrounded by the people I love most in this world... but for now it´s all some strange mirage that I feel will never materialize.

It seems my body will forever be attuned to the rhythms of life in the snowy corners of the Northern Hemisphere.

No comments:

Post a Comment