Wednesday, March 31, 2010

third time's a charm

So on Sunday I signed up for the 2010 Milwaukee Lakefront Marathon. This will be my third marathon -- I ran #1 in 2006 and #2 in 2007 (Twin Cities Marathon both times). My goal for both of these was to run a 4-hour race. Needless to say, this didn't happen. I sweat a lot. I get hot very easily. And both races were in the 90-100-degree heat index range. You do the math. With dehydration-driven double-sided leg cramps, I ran a 4:23:18 and 4:37:42. Sigh. Yes, I'm proud to have finished two marathons, but with my stubborn and competitive personality, I want to do it right this time. And since Mr. S qualified for the 2011 Boston Marathon, and I'd love to do the same, "right" no longer means a 4-hour race, but a sub-3:40 race. Am I crazy? Maybe. But with an itch to run fast, an entire summer of ice-free paths ahead, and an in-house running coach, this just might be my year.

No comments:

Post a Comment